Doing a rough validation of the Rowing in Motion app

This last weekend I was able to have some telemetry testing in my single done by Biorow which I plan to write about in detail in the near future, but for this quick post I thought it would be interesting to use some of the data taken from the telemetry and see how the rowing in motion app compares as a kind of “rough validation”

20130813-081835.jpg

Here is a picture of me rowing with the telemetry installed on the boat (don’t I look lovely) and although there’s a lot of bits and bobs attached to the boat but the main ones we are looking at today are the box that’s just behind my back on the top of my breakwater (which is the main unit for the telemetry contains the accelerometer for the telemetry and my iPhone running Rowing in Motion (which isn’t in shot but is attached to the hull by my feet)

As part of the testing protocol I had to do a 2k piece at various rates from 18 up to 40 (ouch) and for this comparison we will look at the 250m I did at 33-34, mostly because I have a video of me at that rate.

Technical analysis of the video aside, we want to look at the two acceleration graphs taken from the 250m, so below is the graph taken from the telemetry

biorow acceleration

And below is the Rowing in motion acceleration taken from their analytics site

Rowing in Motion acceleration

Now although the two graphs start from slightly different parts of the stroke (the first graph from the telemetry seems to start part way through the recover and Rowing in Motion seems to start at or just before the catch), the two look pretty comparable, but lets look in a little more detail:

Compare acceleration - 1In red I have highlighted the same spot in the stroke from both graphs, and you can clearly see that both graphs show the same stroke profile of an acceleration to a peak which then dips (the so called drive hump), stabalises above 0 acceleration and then rises again to a second peak

Compare acceleration - 2The next part (again shown in red) again shows the two are very similar, both show a peak acceleration with a dip in the middle (a technical point I will be working on I assure you!)

Compare acceleration - 3And finally the finish of the stroke shown here, both show a bit of “noise”, ie the boat bouncing around as I finish the stroke, something else to consider

Although the two graphs do have different scales for the amount of acceleration that is going on (something id be interested to find out why), the main point of this is to show that the shape of the two curves are the same, showing that details of the boat acceleration picked up by the top of the range dedicated rowing telemetry are also displayed by the Rowing in Motion iPhone application. This confirms to me that the Rowing in Motion app is a useful and accurate tool that I can use to track and work on improving my boat acceleration every outing.

Keep an eye out for a full review of my time with the BioRow telemetry coming out in the next few weeks!

Advertisements

About stelph82

I am a rower who is a lot of a technology geek as well!
This entry was posted in Biomechanics, Gadgets, Rowing Telemetry, Smartphone Software and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Doing a rough validation of the Rowing in Motion app

  1. Mike says:

    Great article! Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s